Seamless pipes are the kind of tubes without any welding seam. Every end of the tube is connected to another without any welding joint. The threads at both ends make it easy to connect it with some other pipe.
Seamless pipe manufacturers provide these to various industries so that they can be used for the manufacture of boiling water pipes, steam pipes for locomotive boilers, large and small smoke pipes, etc.
Different Kinds of Seamless pipes used in the oil and gas industry
Let us look at common types of seamless pipes used in the oil and gas industry:
1. Carbon steel seamless pipes.
2. Chrome Moly alloy steel seamless pipes.
3. Stainless steel seamless pipes.
4. Duplex and super duplex seamless pipes.
5. Those pipes are made of nickel alloys.
Features of seamless pipes for oil and gas
Some of the standard features of seamless pipes for oil and gas are as follows:
• Seamless Pipes have a higher price per ton than ERW pipes, ranging from 3 to 8%. But the unit length of seamless pipe is only half of ERW pipe.
• Seamless pipes can resist high pressure, temperature, stress & corrosive atmosphere.
• They find wide applications in Oil & Gas, Refining, Petrochemical, Chemical, Fertilizer, Power, Automotive, Bearing, Mechanical & Structural.
• They have tolerance for OD and ID.
• They are thick and tolerant.
• They are strong under high pressure and temperature. The seamless pipe is more robust because it is made out of a single piece of steel. These pipes can withstand high pressures, so they are used for high-pressure applications.
• They have excellent corrosion resistance. The manufacturing process does not include any welding, and because of this, it is seamless.
• They have a smooth surface finishing.
• They are resistant to damage and cracking.
• It is easier to bend compared to other pipes.
• This pipe’s manufacture does not require much energy to perform. This makes it more cost-effective than other types of steel pipes.
• It comes with close dimensional tolerance.
• There are different methods used to make steel pipes. Some processes use solid round billets, while others use continuous casting methods.
• The seamless pipe is made by a process that involves forging plus an extrusion process which means that a solid round billet is rolled or pressed to create a hollow shell which is then elongated to create a pipe.
• Steel pipes are used extensively in the oil & gas industry. You’ll find seamless and welded pipes there – both types have properties that make them ideal for the given situations.
A seamless pipe is created from a cylindrical bar of steel. Once the bar is heated to a specific temperature, it is inserted to create a hole through the cylinder.
This cylinder is then transferred to rollers per a particular diameter and thickness. If you are trying to make a small diameter pipe, the seamless pipe is the most common one to be used. However, the cost increases as the availability of such pipes are limited.
How to Find a Seamless Steel Pipe Supplier